Tuesday 30 July 2013

Christmas in July

nico: For people who are born and grow up in the northern hemisphere, celebrating Christmas in hot weather makes them feel weird I think.

I spent my first Australian Christmas at Rottnest Island last year with my Australian family. I swam at some beaches, did QLD's watching heaps of boats, and just was relaxed for 5 days. I was really happy, and it was awesome. I was also excited to decorate the Christmas tree even though I got sweaty. However, it was a bit different and strange for me. It's not in winter.

The other day, while I was researching something on the internet, I found the party which was named Christmas in July - Ugly sweater party. Then on 24th of July 2013, I went to celebrate Christmas in July with my Australian family at a retirement village where my grandparents-in-law live. The restaurant was decorated with some Christmas ornaments such as Christmas trees, bells, and so on. They were not so big but enough to make us feel Christmas atmosphere. If there were some white cotton lump on Christmas trees, I would have felt more Christmas-y. During the Christmas dinner in July, I imagined snow watching rain reflected light.

By the way, because I couldn't get why Australian celebrate Christmas in July, I asked MJ. According to MJ, some European who migrated to Australia started it because it is much easier to feel Christmas in winter for them. So do I. Even so, I was surprised that it became one of the culture in Australia.

I feel sorry for MJ because she had to celebrate Christmas in December which was cold weather in Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment