Thursday 18 July 2013

Small Talk

nico : When I first went to Woolworths, I thought MJ met her acquaintance because she talked with  the cashier.

Actually, while we were living in Japan, I had felt weird as same thing. It's on the phone. When MJ phoned a bank clerk from Japan, she said "How are you?" and "Have a nice day". Besides, she talked about how life in Japan was. In Japan, people who are talking like that are usually elderly persons. It's not only on the phone but also at the checkout counter. I’ve been surprised even elderly person talking to me about the delay of a bus at a bus stop in Japan though. I’ve got nervous being nice and normal to the elderly person who I've never met before.

It doesn't mean Japanese people are not kind and friendly. It's just a difference between Australian and Japanese. Japanese people are basically shy and not good at talking with people who we don't know especially at a place where we don't need to be together with some reason. In addition, it’s not so common to ask about some private things such as family. Actually, I hesitate a bit asking about someone’s family, so I don’t ask about it. I haven’t asked about someone’s plan of holiday either. I feel it’s a bit meddling. I think Japanese people are also not good at responding when someone compliments us. Of course, we are happy about the compliment, but we also feel a bit embarrassed. Therefore, it's a bit hard for us to reply. I think one of the reasons comes from Japanese modest or humble culture.

Then, do Australian's like small talk? MJ doesn’t like it. She said she’s not good at either. Seriously? She’s been talking really well every time. Anyway, I’ve heard same answers from some other people. Whether you are good at it or not, I think it’s really good thing talking and greeting casually with anybody. Even if you don’t know the person as a cashier, it helps feeling better.

Well, I admit supermarket is good place to practice speaking English. However, it’s still scary place for me. I don’t want to make cashier feel awkward because of my dull response.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment